- How many changes can I make to one of your floorplans?
We love incorporating your ideas into our pre-designed plans. Add a sunroom, 3-car garage, bathroom or move walls – we can do that! We will sketch your desired changes and provide a cost breakdown for your review. Depending on the level of customization, your plan changes may require more coordination with vendors and subcontractors and may therefore take longer to build.
- Will your team come out to evaluate my future home site to assure it is right for my new home?
Sure. We are here to help you accomplish the perfect home orientation to maximize views, privacy or whatever is important to you. Our New Home Specialist or Project Manager can meet you onsite to discuss your house orientation, clearing and drainage. This initial meeting can also save time when we are ready to submit your project to the architectural review committee.
- Do we have to start with one of your pre-designed house plans?
No you do not, we can start from scratch. And the earlier we meet to discuss your vision the better. We will work alongside your architect or designer to help keep your custom design on budget. If you already have a plan, we would be happy to review the plan with you and provide an estimate. Keep in mind that our pre-designed plans offer efficiencies in both time and money. We have a wide variety of layouts and each can be customized to fit your needs.
- How do I know what is standard?
We invite you to visit one of our models in the Wilmington area. Our models feature our standard finishes so that you can see what comes included in your home. Many of our standard features are upgrades with other builders, like 10’ ceilings, 8’ doors, elegant moldings, and quality cabinetry with soft close drawers, Grohe fixtures, wood shelving, stamped concrete porches and more. We are proud to showcase our standard interior and exterior finishes because they create a beautiful home.
We carefully select the products and materials included as standard in our homes based on quality, affordability, durability and current design trends to make sure we are offering the best overall value to our clients.
- What are the advantages of a fixed price contract?
Our fixed price contract offers guaranteed upfront pricing so you know how much your home will cost to build. This type of contract protects you from items that you cannot control, like labor costs. And, unlike cost-plus builders, we negotiate the best possible prices with our preferred vendors and subcontractors to keep your costs down. This saves you time and money in the building process.
- What is semi-custom?
Semi custom homes offer buyers significant cost and time savings compared to custom homes while still allowing the flexibility to personalize the floor plan and the finishes. Our process usually starts with a pre-designed plan that is modified to fit your needs.
We also start with list of standard materials and finishes used to build your home, called the Specifications. You still have the opportunity to customize the materials and finishes during the selection process, but the standard specifications help prevent hidden costs by ensuring there is a material allotment for each aspect of your home. The products and materials included in the standard specifications also offer the best overall value to our clients since we negotiate those items based on volume and our long standing relationships with local suppliers.
- How long does it take from start to finish?
Our average construction time is 6 to 8 months from the date we start the footings. The schedule for your home depends on the size of the home and the level of customization. One of a kind details take extra time to estimate, coordinate and execute. Delays in selecting the finishes for your home or making changes to selections will add time to your home’s schedule.
- How do I choose selections like flooring, cabinets, countertops, etc. for my home?
We know this is one of the most exciting parts of building a home! That is why we have a New Home Designer on staff to guide you through our selection process from start to finish. Our New Home Designer will use all our resources to help you create your dream home, including visits to our preferred vendors’ showrooms. Our vendor showrooms offer a wide variety of choices for cabinets, countertops, appliances, plumbing, tile, hardwood and lighting and open the door for you to create a look that is uniquely yours. In order for us to successfully manage, implement and warranty your selections, we do ask that you select finishes from our preferred vendor showrooms.
- When do I need to plan to be in town during the building process?
We have streamlined the selection process to make it easy for local and long distance clients. With that said, building is a significant financial investment and we recommend setting aside adequate time to make important decisions.
- Phase 1 Selections & Site Visit – plan for 3-4 full days
- Phase 2 Selections & Framing Tour – plan for 3-4 full days
- Final Walk-through – plan for 1-2 days
- Why do selections have to be so early in the process?
Our goal is to build your home on time and without surprises. We need to ensure the field has the necessary information to build your home to stay on schedule. Approximately 3 weeks after signing your construction contract and prior to the start of construction, we will meet with you to start selecting the materials and finishes for your home.
Secondly, we want you to have time to make educated decisions and time for us to generate the cost of any changes.
Finally, you will find that many selections are interdependent. For example, we need your cabinetry and plumbing layouts to correctly plumb your foundation. Since countertops and tile are so integrated with cabinets, it makes sense to select all these finishes at one time. Also, many communities have an architectural review committee that must approve your exterior colors and materials prior to the start of construction so we need those prior to breaking ground on your home.
- Can I bring in my own vendor?
We thoroughly research the pricing, reliability, quality of work and warranty services of our vendors before recommending them to you. With the opportunity to visit our preferred vendor’s showroom, you will have a wide array of options that can satisfy any budget. And our vendors go above and beyond to meet our clients’ demands. Due to concerns with quality control, scheduling, warranty and liability, we do not allow outside vendors not pre-approved to perform work or supply materials for your home.
- Why should I build with Charter?
- Expertise – We have been successfully building homes in the Wilmington area for more than 35 years. Our expert advice will add value to your new home.
- Quality – We use interior and exterior products that stand the test of time. We also focus on low maintenance and energy efficient products that add comfort to your home.
- Value – Our long standing relationships with the best subcontractors and vendors in our area allow us to deliver expert craftsmanship at an affordable price. Many features we include as standard that are upgrades with other builders.
- Process – We have developed a simple to follow process to guide you through the decisions involved with building a home. Your team will guide you through the process and offer expert advice on design choices and how to best apply your budget.
- Service – Your new home designer, project coordinator and project manager are dedicated to your home project from start to finish. We believe in open, two-way communication, so you can easily monitor progress and provide approvals and feedback during each phase.
- Who do I contact to get started?
We welcome you to visit one of our decorated model homes where you can discuss your home needs with an onsite agent. Or call our office to speak with our new home specialist Holly Overton 910-769-2440. We are happy to answer any questions you have about building your next home!